Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Buddha Light - A Ceremony January 13, 2010

With the exception of last year in Colorado, I have performed a ceremony in Asia every year at the exact time of my Mom's death at 3:07 a.m. (Asia time).

It's been 6 years now...

First was Angkor Wat, Cambodia then Bagan, Burma, followed by Sukhothai, Thailand and finally Luang Prabang, Laos.

Last year I climbed a beautiful snow-covered Red Rock in Boulder, Colorado.

And this year I stayed in Chiangmai, Thailand.

And not just anywhere. I spent a "little time on the mountain" in a beautiful temple hidden in the jungle with a stream, small waterfall, powerful ancient buddhas, a 1200 year old Chedi, a cliffside view overlooking the city and a long and winding path down the mountain that the monks walked daily before the road up to Doi Suthep and the Royal Palace was built.

I went to Wat Palad at 3pm as a guest of the elder monk. And I had the place to myself...There are only 8 monks living there and most were not around.

I spent time unwinding and before it was dark I placed over 90 candles for the ceremony later that night at 3am.

I stayed in a little teak house by the stream I had to hike down. I went to bed at 8:30pm to the sounds of the stream and the cacophony of animals outside...


At 2:30 I awoke and spent the next 3.5 hours performing the ceremony at 3 different locations including the 1200 year old chedi that is the centerpiece of the original temple, a 600 year old buddha in the main temple and the awesome 9 buddhas in the cave along the stream that are also 600 years old.


I left at 6am, drove down the mountain on my motorbike, and watched the monks doing alms as I drove by knowing I had enjoyed yet another awesome experience...

No comments:

Post a Comment